Top IBM Websphere Interview Questions and Answers
by Sachin, on Jul 20, 2022 8:20:08 PM
Q1. What does IBM WebSphere do?
Websphere is both a technology and a brand of software, created by IBM, as a suite of business applications. Websphere is meant to create business solutions through a set of Java-based tools enabling developers to create and manage business applications through a website's front end.
Q2. Differentiate between Application Server and Web Server.
|Application Server||Web Server|
|Application Server with the help of various protocols provides business logic to clients for their applications.||Web Server allows clients to visit pages in the browser.|
|The number of protocols to provide business logic to clients may vary.||HTTP requests are exclusively handled by the Web Server.|
|The delegation model is complex.||The delegation model is considered to be simple.|
|Dynamic in nature can be configured to work as a web server.||Web Server can’t be configured to work as an Application Server.|
Q3. Define IBM WebSphere edge server. List its components.
WebSphere edge is basically the components of a set if server application which is used for improving the performance and the function of systems which are based on the web. This WebSphere edge is considered to be the part of IBM WebSphere product tool. It has the following four components -
1. It Dispatches Network
2. Distributed contents
3. Proxy is well cached
Q3. Mention some of the features available in Web-sphere?
- It supports the servlet/JSP container functionality that runs on top of HTTP
- It supports HTTP servers as IBM HTTP server, Netscape iPlanet server, and MS IIS
- It supports Java Server Pages, HTML pages, Servlets and XML
- It supports EJB component model and Workload Management.
Q4. What is asymmetric clustering in Web-sphere?
In asymmetric clustering, the partition can be defined dynamically and runs on a single cluster at a time. The task which is particular to an appropriate cluster can be routed to that cluster. Usually, clustering is used by banks.
Q5. Explain what is node, node agent and node groups?
- Node: It is a logical grouping of server processes maintained by WebSphere and that share common configuration and operational control
- Nodeagent: Each node has a nodeagent that works along with the deployment manager to manage administration processes. It acts as a mediator between the node and deployment manager
- Node Group: A node group is a grouping of nodes within a cell that have same capabilities
Q6. Mention what are the default ports you use to use WebSphere Application Sphere?
- Administrative Console Port (WC_ adminhost) : 9060
- Administrative Console Secure Port (WC_ adminhost_ secure): 9443
- HTTP Transport Port (WC_ defaulthost): 9080
- HTTPS Transport Secure Port (WC_ defaulthost_ secure): 9443
Q7. Mention when does WebSphere Application server contact the registry for user information?
Web-sphere application server contact the registry for user when users
- Checks the users password
- Maps certificate information to a userid
- Converts userid to registry uniqueid
- Obtains group information
Q8. Explain what is extended deployment in WebSphere?
The extended deployment in WebSphere leverages enhanced qualities of service with features optimizing IT resources. It spans three areas
- WebSphere Virtual Enterprise
- WebSphere eXtreme Scale
- Compute Grid
Q9. What is Ripplestart?
Ripplestart is to restart the WAS cluster. It first stops the JVM and then starts it. By doing ripplestart you ensure only one JVM is down at one time hence no downtime to the applications.
Q10. List the components of the WebSphere tool of IBM.
WAS - WAS which is the abbreviation of the WebSphere application server, a blessing the users of the website to connect with the Java applications which are also known as Java servlets.
The server of the web - This server provides an HTTP service.
The server of data - This server is used for getting persistent data.
Q11. What is the meaning of Dynamic Cache?
The dynamic cache is the one that helps in the improvement of the performance produced by the caching of the various output of applications. The objects to be cached are intercepted within the cells with the help of the Dynamic cache service. Then the content is provided by it or is stored.
Q12. Mention what are the Websphere MQ programming APIs?
- AMI (Application Messaging Interface)
- JMS (Java Message Service)
- MQI (Message Queue Interface)
Q13. Mention what is the difference between Websphere and Weblogic?
Websphere is focused more on connectivity, integration, and web services. It has better performance, rich implementation of J2EE, more extensive integration and transaction management compare to Weblogic.
Weblogic has default transaction attributes as supports, while websphere does not have such type of the default transaction attribute.
Q14. Define virtual host.
Virtual hosts are considered to be the ones that consist of various kinds of URLs like FQDN and IP. These are all present in a single application. The configuration of the same is also done with the WebSphere application server. The application must be included in an URL and this is known as the virtual host. Hence, this application remains associated with its URL in the virtual host.
Q15. What is the meaning of cells found in WebSphere?
When the group of nodes is put or found in the single domain of WebSphere administration then it is known as the cell. Various nodes can be present in the cell and all these are managed from a particular proper point of access.
Q16. Define WebSphere MQ.
Communication between users with the help of messages is done with the help of WebSphere MQ. This is basically a type of application program. Mainly commercial communication or messaging is done by WebSphere MQ. The communication through application by this can be done in two ways - Fire and Forget and Request and Response.
Q17. Define extended deployment.
In WebSphere, deployments are extended due to the purpose of increasing the service quality. This gets increased with the help of the optimization of the IT resources. It works in three main areas as follows -
- Websphere extreme scale
- Compute Grid
- Websphere virtual enterprise
Q18. Define SSL.
For the communication of the data which are encrypted, between various processes, a certain protocol is used and this is known as SSL.
Q19. Differentiate between the horizontal and vertical clusters.
General, two types of the cluster are done. The horizontal cluster refers to the cluster which can be done between a huge number of multiple nodes and all the servers found in the cell. On the other hand, the vertical cluster is mainly done between the members I'd the same bode and server.
Q20. Define connecting pool.
The connecting pool is basically the cache of various connections of the database and is maintained in such a way that can be used again in the near future. Such requests for database caching are very frequent and common in WebSphere. However, when all the connections get occupied then a whole new connection is made and gets automatically added to the pool.
Q21. What exactly do you know about the WebSphere’s architecture?
- Every single Web server has its own API, which allows the filters to be deployed.
- Web server plug-in is used for several purposes and the common among them is monitoring the applications.
- The architecture is not always necessary to be modified
- It is possible to impose a limit on the architecture if it fails to provide the desired security
- The architecture design is not always necessary to be the same for all the models. There are many factors due to which it gets influenced. However, security is always the first concern
- Architecture can be a combination of various platforms and should be free from any compatibility issues that are becoming common. This is due to the rise in technology.
Q22. What exactly do you mean by WebSphere Virtual Enterprise?
WebSphere Virtual Enterprise increases the flexibility and alertness to ensure the integrity of the business process, &improve the service, help to manage the health, and application performance.
WebSphere Virtual Enterprise offers the virtualization capabilities of application infrastructure, which lower the overall amount for the production, management, and operate enterprise applications in a reliable manner.