Pivotal Cloud Interview Questions and Answers
by Sachin, on Aug 8, 2022 10:20:37 PM
Q1. What is pivotal cloud?
PCF is a cloud native platform for deploying next-generation apps. Based on open source technology, PCF enables enterprises to rapidly deliver new experiences to their customers. PCF can be deployed on-premises and on many cloud providers to give enterprises a hybrid and multi-cloud platform.
Q2. What is Cloud Foundry BuildPack?
Buildpacks offer support for applications in the system and runtime. Usually, buildpacks analyze the apps to decide which modules to install and how to set up applications to connect with attached providers. Cloud Foundry automatically detects an appropriate buildpack for it when you push an app. It Compiles and prepare the app for release using this buildpack.
Q3. What is BOSH in Cloud Foundry ?
- BOSH is an open source tool for the release engineering, deployment, lifecycle management and monitoring.
- BOSH is used by Cloud Foundry as the interaction layer with IAAS
- BOSH enables abstraction and IAAS interaction to be standardized.
- BOSH uses the Cloud Provide Interface to communicate with IAAS , which is implemented by the IAAS vendor
Q4. What is the difference between Cloud Foundry, PCF Dev, PCF and Pivotal Web services?
CF - Cloud Foundry is a project with an open source. It is created by the Foundation of the Cloud. Anyone can take and run the parts of the opensource.
PCF - Pivotal Cloud Foundry is a commercial version of Cloud Foundry that is produced by Pivotal. It has commercial functionalities appended above and beyond what is available in Cloud Foundry's open source version, but is 100% Cloud Foundry compliant.
PCF Dev - PCF Dev is a scaled down PCF version that can be run in a VM on your local machine. It has developer-oriented apps that would like to work locally and possibly offline. It has not all of PCF's functionality. It's free, but mixed in commercial components.
Pivotal Web services - This is Pivotal's hosted version of Cloud Foundry. The core runs the latest bits of open source, but Pivotal also mixes some of the services offered by PCF. PCF Dev has some services, but not as many as PWS.
Q5. What are the advantages of Pivotal Cloud Foundry(PCF)?
The advantages of using Pivotal Cloud Foundry(PCF) are as follows-
- Fast application development and deployment.
- Highly scalable and available architecture.
- DevOps-friendly workflows.
- Reduced chance of human error.
- Multi-tenant compute efficiencies.
Q6. What are the components of PCF?
- BOSH helps in deploying kubernets clusters, and acts like a deployment manager tool which is developed for using with Cloud Foundry.
- Ops Manager helps in automating tasks and supporting the deployment of PCF into IaaS environments.
- User Account and Authentication Server acts as a components of PCF controls identity and access management of the server.
- Gorouter used by PCF for handling incoming requests from operators and developers.
- Cloud Controller helps in centralizing API endpoints where developers and operators that sends commands to PCF and deploys application.
- Diego acts as an container orchestration system for PCF deployments.
- Loggregator helps in aggregating and streaming computer generating log and event files and metrics from all PCF's infrastructure components and application which are deployed.
Q7. What is Point coordination function?
Point Coordination Function is an optional technique that is used in preventing collisions which are based WLAN standard including Wi-Fi, it is an access control sublayer technique used in arears where carrier sense multiple access with collision avoidance is used.PCF is used as a distributed coordination function which is used in centralised control system, and is present in the access point of the wireless network.
Q8. What are the 3 services of PCF?
The types of services in PCF are as follows:
IaaS - helps in managing application, data, runtime, middleware and operating system and outsource the service provider.
SaaS - helps in accessing application through a web based portal with associated resources managed by a cloud service provider.
PaaS - helps in managing applications and datas with capabilities managed by cloud services provider.
Q9. What is Cloud Foundry?
Cloud Foundry is used for supporting the development, management and continuous delivery of software applications and can be deployed on top of an IaaS tool such as AWS, vSphere or OpenStack which provides a set of features and specialized functions that helps organizations reduce the cost and complexity of configuring the underlying platform for their applications.
Q10. Difference between PCF DEV and PCF Enterprise ?
- PCF Dev is suitable for developers who want to explore and test PCF or those who are already actively developing PCF-based cloud-based applications
- Working with PCF Dev, developers will experience PCF's power from rapid development cycles allowed by consistent, organized builds to unlocked operational excellence through integrated reporting, tracking, and health monitoring and management.
- PCF Dev is a very slim variant of PCF operating on VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion on a single machine.
- Essentially it was meant to run exclusively on a laptop or PC. PCF Dev comes with tiles from Redis, RabbitMQ, and MySQL OR RMQ, MySql, and SCS.
- So, spinning up and deploying microservices and testing is a very good solution, a good quick turnaround option for the developer
- PCF Dev has no Bosh
- As you called it, a PCF Enterprise is a production-built PCF foundation.
- It has many characteristics. But some of the key characteristics are:
- Secure by default
- Self healing and Redundancy
- Polyglot support
Q11. How PCF (Pivotal Cloud Foundry) is different from AWS (Amazon Web Services)?
- PCF - can be used as PaaS -[Platform as a Service]
- AWS - can be used as IaaS -[Infrastructure as a Service]
Q12. What is difference between restart and restage in Cloud Foundry (PCF)?
By Restarting application, it stop your application and restarts application with the existing available compiled droplet.
By Restaging application, it stop your application and restages application by compiling new droplet and start the application.
Q13. What is stagging in Cloud Foundry?
An archive within Cloud Foundry which contains the application-ready to run on Diego. A droplet is the result of the application staging process.
Q14. What is droplet in Cloud Foundry?
Droplet is the execution unit of the Cloud Foundry. The result is a droplet once an application has been pushed to Cloud Foundry using a buildpack. Therefore, a droplet on top of the request is nothing but an abstraction that contains information such as metadata.
Q15. What is Cloud Foundry log aggregator and it's architecture?
Cloud Foundry log aggregator collects logging output from application instances, cloud foundry components. And aggregates into consolidated log.
Logging Server : Process is called Doppler.
Loggregator= Metrics agents + Logging Servers + Traffic Controllers
- Metron Agent: Receive both logs and metrics
- Doppler Server: Accumulates data from agents
- Traffic Controllers: Allow access to metrics and logs
Q16. What is UAA in Cloud Foundry (PCF)?
User Account and Authentication (UAA) is an open source identity server in Cloud Foundry. UAA provides identity-based security for both applications and APIs. Cloud Foundry provide open standards for authentication and authorization including following:
- OpenID Connect
- System for Cross-domain Identity Management (SCIM)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
- Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)
Q17. What are the features of UAA in Cloud Foundry (PCF)?
- Token exchange for SAML , JWT bearers, support for JWT
- Token revocation
- Authentication, authorization, and configuration management fro Rest Api's
- Token exchange for SAML and JWT bearers
- Logging, Auditing, and monitoring
- Flexibility of the server, including support for MySQL and Postgres
Q18. What is Cloud Foundry container?
A container is a standard software unit that packages code and all its dependencies, so that the program runs from one software environment to another quickly and reliably.
Q19. What is Services?
AnsAny type of add-on can be provisioned alongside your app
-services are usually bound to one or more applications
-connection information are put in environment variable called VCAP_SERVICES
Q20. What is Organization, Spaces, and Domains?
Organization : Designed for use by any organization, typically a company, department, or a large project name
All organization will have default domain as cfapps.io
Spaces : Organization will have multiple spaces.
Default space is development; users can create their own spaces like Testing, Production etc.
Domains : Every application is associated with a URL, which redirects to an application
It have default domain as cfapps.io